Saturday, June 27, 2009

National Gallery of Art

I went to the National Gallery of Art this morning with some friends from Church. We started out at the West building and saw a special exhibit, "Jaromir Funke and the Amateur Avant-Garde." Jaromir Funke was a leading photographer in Prague in the 1920's, 30's, and early 40's until he died in 1945. It's a very small exhibit, but great photos.

On our way from the West building to the East building, we stopped for gelato. I tried the mint and the white chocolate flavors. Excellent.

We went to an exhibit called "Heaven on Earth" in the East building. This exhibit was Renaissance art from books. I really liked a picture of Saint Christopher and the Christ Child. The legends say that Saint Christopher was the tallest person and helped people cross a river. He helped the Christ Child cross the river and was surprised at his weight. Christ identified himself and Saint Christopher realized that he had carried the weight of the world on his shoulder.

We walked back through the West building and we went through the late 19th century and early 20th century art rooms. I really liked some of the John Singer Sargent pictures and I really liked those pictures. I had always kind of walked on by them.

It was a great adventure to the Art Gallery and I plan to follow it up with more visits.

No comments: