Monday, August 31, 2009

What's Cooking: An Update

I've been cooking a lot more than I've been blogging lately. These are some things that I've made during July and August.


All the items in this salad are from the Farmer's Market. It's one of the best green salads I've ever made. I'm not a huge fan of salad and usually when I go to restaurants, I have a no salad policy. The salad is either all salad dressing, or boring, or iceberg lettuce with a few withered carrots. Fresh and interesting ingredients make all the difference.


And this is purple cauliflower that I found at the Falls Church Farmer's Market.



And when it comes to pancakes, I've had as many successes as I've had failures. I didn't try to make pancakes without an electric waffle maker until I was in college. I could just never get them right. But this time that I made pancakes, they turned out great! I made the pancake mix from scratch using a recipe from "How to Cook Everything: The Basics." There wasn't even a "sacrificial pancake" at the beginning.


When I was making these cupcakes, I was just thinking about how far I had come as a cook. A funfetti cake out of the Betty Crocker box with frosting out of a can was something that I frequently made when I was a teenager.

No comments: